Archive for 2017
Today was a good day, a very productive day.
I finished the UVmap and started rendering a draft texture set to get everything setup properly.
While doing that I stumbled into a problem I’ve had at least half a dozen times before, but I always forget about it, something related to how I overlay materials on top of each other.
I’ve also briefly started the UVmapping and the belt shows some good potential for left/right texture recycling. I’ll keep the front/back part as their own unique parts but the side straps & padding can probably be mirrored (highlighted in red).
Flattening the UV to maximize texture usage is going to be the next tedious step. The rings and metal hardware already have their own texture maps so I don’t really need to worry about those.
I don’t have much to say, some progress was made, I’m trying to stick to the “style” of the original too.
I left the annoying areas for last.
I started doing this today but my sleep cycle is all fucked up so that’s as far as I got. I’ll resume after some rest.
I got a crude Unwrapping done, just enough to get the different texture components mapped. I’ve made the usual stitch lines, the strap hole reinforcements are in place too.
Now I need to figure out…Why is the leather bump map bleeding over the metal?
It happened before, and I always forget why and how to fix it.
I’ve riveted everything (again) and re-placed all the hardware, without deformations this time. I wish I could have the “triangular rivet pattern” more often but it if I do I’m going to cover this belt entirely with rivets.
I’ve also re worked the shape a little. I might tweak it more, but I believe it is now time to get it all unwrapped properly so that I can put in the grain, stitches and grommets.
I also need to add some bend/crease stuff in the back padding to make it match the cuffs.
So yeah why stop there, lets just double it again.
It’s a bit (okay it’s very) bulky with those 4 buckling points but it looks the part with the cuffs in my opinion.
I’m a bit sick and trying to catch some specific people to get their feedback, but I’ve come up with a possible improvement:
The first one, with the strap ends facing each others seem more structurally sound and most of the people I queried about it agree. From a technical standpoint, if I can get back in symmetry mode, it makes everything a lot simpler.
So yeah that’s my new project, and it has been long overdue. A bondage belt that matches my classic leather cuffs.
It’s a bit on the thick side, but that actually matches the bulkiness of the original cuffs and will hopefully make for some pretty generous fitting. After some deliberation I decided to put the locking strap on the back.