I could say i’m about as old as bdsm in SecondLife (not quite but nearly) in the few years i have been there i have seen a lot of things evolve, some ideas i started myself did take a life of their own in the hand of other creators.
In general, things have been evolving.
However, i do wonder if we do not tend to go the wrong way… as the title says, today, every major scripter in the BDSM community is making those “all in one” powerhouse collars that start to look more like multi function remotes than what they are supposed to mimic, a slave collar.
Tokon is pushing it to the extreme, their hud looks like one of those fancy next gen phone/electronic gadgets it has everything you can really think of that is remotely related to D/s and BDSM, so do amethyst’s collar, mine, and well…
…i now think that it sucks. Those tools turn your sub into a remote controlled robot, wich is fine if you fantazize to be a robot but, well… here is a thought:
- A big part of what makes bondage thrilling is not just the finality but the process of being bound is important too, it’s a ritual.
- What’s the point of having an animation tool for the master in a slave collar? Is the slave too dumb to assume the demanded position when His/Her Master demands it?
- What is the connection between a slave collar and the inability to talk or <insert other odd features here> ?
- Why having a complex user access control system? what makes the collar magically reject inputs from everybody?
- Why having so many toggleable functions, why not making collars for different type of peoples instead of a bloated “one size fits all” system?
I think going back to simpler items could be a very good return to the origins, objects that mimic more accurately the activities IRL they are supposed to represent. However does not misunderstand me, by saying “simpler” i do not mean simpler coding, what i mean is getting rid of all those atrocious huds and menus and create more natural ways to access functions. ( why not making leashing trigger when the dom/me click his leash handle and then the sub collar? )
Bottom line, i think it should feel natural to use restraints and D/s toys, it shouldn’t feel like a program but like an electronic version of the real thing, it should feel logical and straightforward to handle, it should feel like using it is satisfeying, it needs this little feel that what you do is almost real.